- About Overview
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Honors and Awards
- Facts and Figures
- Support the School
- Contact Us
- Dean’s Office
- Dean’s Office Overview
- Education Unit
- Office of Faculty Academic Affairs
- Office of Administration
- Org Chart
- Patient Care
Giacomini named dean of UCSF School of Pharmacy
By UCSF School of Pharmacy Editorial Staff / Wed May 4, 2022
Kathy Giacomini, PhD, an esteemed UCSF professor and mentor as well as a leader in pharmacogenomics, drug development, and regulatory sciences, will be the new dean of the UCSF School of Pharmacy.
Her appointment, officially announced today by UCSF Chancellor Samuel Hawgood, MBBS, will take effect July 1.
Trained as a pharmacist, Giacomini has served on the UCSF School of Pharmacy faculty since 1982. She was previously the chair of the UCSF Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences, having founded the current incarnation of the department in 2009. She is known not only for her contributions to the pharmaceutical sciences but also for relentlessly advocating for women and underrepresented minorities in research and health care.
In her decades in the field, Giacomini’s many accomplishments include:
- Pioneering the field of pharmacogenomics, a pillar of today’s efforts in precision medicine to tailor drug therapies based on individuals’ genetic makeup.
- Becoming the first woman recipient of the Pharmaceutical Scientist of the Year by the International Pharmaceutical Federation.
- Serving on, and then chairing, the UCSF Chancellor’s Advisory Committee on the Status of Women, which developed parental leave policies for the campus.
- Founding of the UCSF-Stanford Center of Excellence in Regulatory Science and Innovation (CERSI) in collaboration with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Earning the Volwiler Research Award, the highest research award given by the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP).
School of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences, Department of Clinical Pharmacy, PharmD Degree Program, BMI, QBC, CCB, PSPG, Bioinformatics, Biophysics
About the School: The UCSF School of Pharmacy aims to solve the most pressing health care problems and strives to ensure that each patient receives the safest, most effective treatments. Our discoveries seed the development of novel therapies, and our researchers consistently lead the nation in NIH funding. The School’s doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) degree program, with its unique emphasis on scientific thinking, prepares students to be critical thinkers and leaders in their field.