- About Overview
- Honors and Awards
- Facts and Figures
- Support the School
- Contact Us
- Dean’s Office
- Patient Care
Archived Mission: June 27, 2007
June 27, 2007
The School of Pharmacy at the University of California, San Francisco is dedicated to maximizing human health and well-being by educating doctoral and postdoctoral students in pharmacy and in the pharmacy-related sciences, advancing scientific discovery, caring for patients, serving the public, and advocating on the public's behalf. The School takes seriously its specific responsibilities to:
- Sustain a culture of understanding, inclusion, equity and respect for the perspectives that all individuals bring to the teaching, learning, research, and patient care environments.
- Recruit and encourage a faculty, staff, and a student body that reflect diversity in gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status; and by their make-up demonstrate our commitment to individuals from historically underrepresented minority groups.
- Draw upon the breadth of our School's diverse clinical community to better reduce racial, ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in health.
- Educate PharmD professional students as compassionate, innovative, flexible leaders in the pharmaceutical care of individual patients and the community as a whole, clinicians who think independently while working collaboratively and who demonstrate a commitment to the lifelong learning required to remain experts in the safe and optimally effective use of drug products in patients
- Educate PhD graduate students to understand and apply concepts, work collaboratively, and think beyond the scope of their specific disciplines in order to become accomplished scientists who are experts and leaders in drug discovery and development
- Recruit and develop effective, dedicated, scholarly teachers who inspire their students to pursue lifelong learning in the health sciences and work in the service of human health
- Conduct exceptional basic science, translational science, clinical science, health policy, and health services research, which leads to important scientific understandings, innovative drug products, effective clinical practices, and public policies that illuminate knowledge about drug action and advance human health
- Provide the public and health system with the specialized clinical pharmacy care and information it needs to optimize the therapeutic use of drugs and reduce the risk of adverse drug events
- Serve the community through public service activities that anticipate and meet the pharmacy information needs of the public, so that individuals can make more informed decisions about their own health
- Catalyze and clarify new perspectives on pharmacy-related issues within academia, business, industry, health care, and government in order to advance the field of pharmacy for the benefit of the public
- Teach health care providers about new developments in pharmacy that affect health sciences education, patient care, and the health of our communities
- Defend the health of the public by sharing evidence-based opinions with policy-makers, health care providers, and health care system and industry leaders, and
- Champion interdisciplinary approaches to pharmacy questions in order to promote new scientific discoveries and to teach and care for the public more effectively and efficiently.
- Collaborate with colleagues worldwide to gain new insights and ultimately improve the health and well-being of the world we share.
The UCSF School of Pharmacy supports the larger mission of the University of California, San Francisco.
Go to: Mission