Mary Anne Koda-Kimble Seed Award for Innovation
About the award
The Mary Anne Koda-Kimble Seed Award for Innovation funds truly innovative projects that have the potential to move forward the mission of the UCSF School of Pharmacy in new ways. Applicants are encouraged to bring forward their boldest, riskiest, and most blue-sky ideas—those for which there is no ready or traditional source of funding. Projects may be large or small in scope.
Mary Anne Koda-Kimble’s tenure as UCSF School of Pharmacy dean from 1998 to 2012 represented a leadership style of relentless support for new directions in science, education, and patient care. The Seed Award for Innovation honors Dr. Koda-Kimble’s legacy.
No single discovery or solitary action will determine our success. My role as dean is to plant seeds that have the potential to take root and flourish. These could be novel research ideas, new methods of teaching or presenting our curricula, totally new approaches to delivering pharmaceutical care to patients and populations—even new ways of working with new partners. Innovation is key to our success; it must be constantly encouraged and nourished. —Mary Anne Koda-Kimble, PharmD
A total of $100,000 has been set aside for single or multiple awards during this specific award cycle. Applicants are expected to find supplemental funds to complete their projects if proposal budgets exceed the award amount.
Awardees must spend the entire award amount within 12 months of the initial award date. Remaining funds NOT spent within the award cycle will NOT be carried over to the following cycle year.
The Seed Awards are not intended to fund the continuation of current research.
2017 call for applications
|Opens||October 9, 2017|
|Closes||January 15, 2018|
|Decisions announced by||February 27, 2018|
- UCSF School of Pharmacy faculty members
- School of Pharmacy staff members
- PharmD students, PhD students in the graduate programs administered by the School under the QBC umbrella (PSPG, BIOE, BP, CCB, BI)
- PharmD residents; post docs and fellows working under School of Pharmacy faculty members
- UCSF faculty members outside the School who teach our PharmD students
PIs are encouraged to submit applications that include interprofessional or interdisciplinary partnerships or teams.
Application criteria and bases for evaluation
The criteria for this award are purposefully open to allow for blue-sky submissions. However, all projects must further the mission of the School of Pharmacy in new ways.
Projects could be related to:
- Community service
- Or any other area that has the potential to benefit the School, its community, or the future of health care
Previous recipients of the Seed Award may re-apply with new projects.
Application submission requirements
- Applicants will complete all information on the required award application submission form.
- Applicants will adhere to the word limits indicated within the application form.
- Only applications that include all submission elements will be considered.
Selection process and criteria
- Complete applications must be electronically submitted by the deadline.
- A review panel coordinated by the dean will evaluate all applications.
- The name of the award must be acknowledged in all publications: Mary Anne Koda-Kimble Seed Award for Innovation.
- Award recipients will submit a brief progress/status report within one year of the release of funding.
Projects submitted for a Seed Award will be judged on
- Originality and novelty of the proposal.
- Likelihood the project will result in clear, measurable outcomes.
- Likely impact the seed funding will have upon the project.
- Likelihood the Seed Award will lead to other sources of funding (if appropriate).
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Save your completed application as a PDF.
- Complete the submission form, uploading your application form as one PDF.