- About Overview
- Honors and Awards
- Facts and Figures
- Support the School
- Contact Us
- Dean’s Office
- Dean’s Office Overview
- Assistant Deans
- Associate Deans
- Education Unit
- Office of Academic Affairs
- Office of Finance and Administration
- Office of Planning and Communications
- Org chart
- Patient Care
Joseph Guglielmo named dean of UCSF School of Pharmacy
By UCSF School of Pharmacy Editorial Staff / Thu Mar 21, 2013
Joseph Guglielmo, PharmD, an honored UCSF professor and mentor as well as a leading pharmacist and clinical scientist specializing in antimicrobial therapies, will be the new dean of the UCSF School of Pharmacy.
His appointment, officially announced today by UCSF Chancellor Susan Desmond-Hellmann, MD, MPH, after being approved by UC President Mark Yudof, will take effect April 1.
Guglielmo has served as the School’s interim dean since July 2012. He is also the associate director for pharmaceutical services at the UCSF Medical Center. He was previously chair of the School’s Department of Clinical Pharmacy, holding the Thomas A. Oliver Chair in Clinical Pharmacy.
Since joining the School faculty in 1979, Guglielmo’s many accomplishments include:
- Developing the UCSF Medical Center Antimicrobial Stewardship Program in the 1980s to study and improve the practices governing the use of antimicrobials in hospitals with the goal of reducing drug-resistant infections.
- Authoring more than 110 peer-reviewed papers and serving as long-term editor of the widely used texts Applied Therapeutics: The Clinical Use of Drugs and Handbook of Applied Therapeutics.
- Creating the UCSF Medication Outcomes Center in 2007 to study and improve medication use and management in the UCSF Medical Center and beyond.
- Earning the UCSF Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring Award, Resident Preceptor of the Year Awards, UCSF School of Pharmacy Long Teaching Award, and the Academic Senate Distinction in Teaching Award.
- Developing clinical pharmacy services for UCSF's HIV/AIDS program, specifically supporting the HIV Women's Program and the Men of Color Program.
- Overseeing a 40 percent increase in the Department of Clinical Pharmacy’s overall faculty research funding from 2006 to 2012, including grants from the National Institutes of Health.
About the School: The UCSF School of Pharmacy is a premier graduate-level academic organization dedicated to improving health through precise therapeutics. It succeeds through innovative research, by educating PharmD health professional and PhD science students, and by caring for the therapeutics needs of patients while exploring innovative new models of patient care. The School was founded in 1872 as the first pharmacy school in the American West. It is an integral part of UC San Francisco, a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide.