Student Life & Organizations
The development of pharmacy leaders is central to the mission of the PharmD program and UCSF student pharmacists excel in leadership and community service. More than 85% of UCSF student pharmacists participate in student organizations and their contributions are broad and diverse. UCSF student pharmacists sponsor and coordinate community projects and health fairs; are active in professional organizations at the local, state, and national levels; and influence decisions within the School and on campus through representation in governing committees and special projects.
- Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy (AMCP): A professional association of pharmacists and associates who serve patients and the public through the promotion of wellness and rational drug therapy by the application of managed care principles.
- The student branch of the American Pharmacists Association (APhA).
- The largest national pharmacy professional organization.
- The only professional organization that has members in all fields of pharmacy practice.
- The largest student pharmacist organization at UCSF.
- Associated Students of the School of Pharmacy (ASSP): The student body of the UCSF School of Pharmacy.
- California Society of Health-System Pharmacists (CSHP): Provides community service projects, continuing education programs, and participation in state and national conferences.
- California Pharmacy Student Leadership (CAPSLEAD): Endeavors to provide student leaders at California pharmacy schools with an opportunity to learn more about leadership skills, build effective time and team management techniques, and interact with pharmacy practitioners and other student pharmacists.
- Kappa Psi: The oldest and largest of the pharmaceutical fraternities.
- Latino Association of Pharmacy Students (LAPS): The focus of LAPS is to teach students the spanish vocabulary, language and culture necessary to interact with hispanic people of the community, especially in the pharmacy setting. We also focus on encouraging young hispanics to attain higher education.
- National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA): Represents the pharmacist owners, managers, and employees of more than 24,000 independent community pharmacies across the United States.
- Phi Delta Chi: A coeducational national professional pharmacy fraternity advancing the science of pharmacy and fostering fraternal spirit among its members.
- Phi Lambda Sigma: A national pharmacy leadership society comprised of student pharmacists, practitioners, and professors promoting the development of leadership qualities among student pharmacists.
- Rho Chi: An honor society in pharmacy promoting the advancement of the pharmaceutical sciences through the stimulation and recognition of academic excellence.
- Student National Pharmaceutical Association (SNPhA): An educational and service association of students who are concerned about pharmacy issues, professional development, and are dedicated to increasing diversity in pharmacy and other health-related professions. The purpose of SNPhA is to plan, organize, coordinate and execute programs geared toward the improvement of the health, educational, and social environment of underserved communities.