Get Your Computer Ready
Please review our computer requirements, which consist of literacy (proficiency), hardware, software, and Internet requirements.
About the computer literacy requirement
If you're not very comfortable using computers, review our computer literacy requirement and consider taking a class or private instruction or even just getting a computer guru friend to show you the basics -- a little confidence will go a long way.
Before you arrive for Orientation, we expect that:
- You have met our computer literacy requirements.
- You own a properly functioning computer that meets our hardware requirements.
- Your computer has an operating system that meets our operating system requirements.
- You have purchased a legal license to install and use a version of Microsoft Office that meets our Microsoft Office requirement.
- You have already set up or are in the process of setting up your Internet connection with an Internet service provider.
- You have already set up or are in the process of setting up your UCSF e-mail account.
Before classes begin
- Install the additional software we require.
- Test all hardware and software components of your computer (e.g., printer, Microsoft Office applications, Internet connection) to reduce the chances of discovering a problem at a time when it is less convenient.
For more details about all our computing services, see Computer Services.