The UCSF School of Pharmacy is led by the dean, who is the chief administrative officer of the School. The dean oversees:
- A vice dean who directs all School administration in the absence of the dean and directly oversees the School’s education, diversity, and global health agendas.
- Three department chairs who develop and administer programs in patient care, research, and education as appropriate for their individual departments.
- Unit leaders in the Dean’s Office, which is comprised of multiple administrative and advisory units.
A Dean’s Leadership Group advises the dean.
Dean’s Leadership Group
The Dean’s Leadership Group is an internal advisory group, appointed by the dean, which meets monthly to explore issues and opportunities and to advise the dean on strategies.
- B. Joseph Guglielmo, PharmD
- Sharon Youmans, PharmD, MPH
- Susan Abby
Executive assistant to the dean
Staff to the Dean’s Leadership Group
- Tejal Desai, PhD
Chair, Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences
- Thomas Kearney, PharmD, DABAT
Associate dean, academic affairs
- Lisa Kroon, PharmD, CDE
Chair, Department of Clinical Pharmacy
- Susan Levings, MS
Associate dean, planning and communications
- Michael Nordberg, MPA/HSA
Associate dean, administration and finance
- Paul Ortiz de Montellano, PhD
Associate dean, research
- James Wells, PhD
Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
UCSF and UC administrations
The School of Pharmacy is one of several main campus units with the Chancellor’s Office, School of Dentistry, School of Medicine, School of Nursing, Graduate Division, and UCSF Medical Center. The School is under the administrative oversight of the dean, who reports to the UCSF chancellor, who reports to the UC president, who is accountable to the Regents of the University of California.
UCSF is intensely collaborative. As a result, department faculty members work with colleagues in research, education, and patient care programs across UCSF.